KAMPALA – The opposition National Unity Platform (NUP) has said it is going to make adjustments to Bobi Wine’s mobilisation tours across the country after allegedly receiving reports of plans to harm the party president.
In a statement issued on Thursday, 31 August 2023, NUP said they received the warning from their diplomatic sources abroad.
“This morning, we received reliable intelligence from some European Diplomatic Sources of a planned attempt on the life of president kyagulanyi Ssentamu Robert, and other NUP leaders at the planned NUP mobilisation events in Kabale District,” they said.
“This caused us to make strategic adjustments in our programs for the day, including concluding our events earlier than planned. We shall release a more detailed statement in due course. We remain very grateful for the massive and warm reception received from the people of Kigezi,” the statement added.
NUP party spokesman Joel Ssenyonyi was not immediately available to comment further on the matter.
It was not immediately clear who is planning the plot. Information Minister Chris Baryomunsi promised to comment on the matter but had not done so by press time.
This comes as Bobi Wine continues to pull crowds on his tours in western region, where he has so far been to Mbarara, Kasese and Kabale.
Security agencies have surprisingly not interfered with his rallies, save for being blocked from speaking on radio stations in Mbarara and Kabale.
Bobi Wine survived shooting in the August 2018 Arua by-election chaos where his driver Yasiin Kawuma lost his life.
Later Kizza Besigye alleged that the shooting of Bobi Wine’s driver in Arua was actually an attempted assassination on the People Power patron.
“The killing of Yasin Kawuma was part of a government plot to convince the public that members of the opposition were at loggerheads and taken to killing those they fear to threaten their own popularity,” he said.