KAMPALA – The opposition Forum for Democratic change has demanded for a list of the security operatives that government claims to have arrested for kidnapping many Ugandans.
Several sections of the media have reported that 10 operatives attached to the Joint Anti-Terrorism Taskforce (JATT) were recently arrested and are currently detained for masterminding the abductions.
The FDC deputy spokesperson John Kikonyogo told journalists in Kampala on Monday, 08 February 2021 that the soldiers should also be brought to court as well as the kidnapped civilians.
He expressed concern over lack of coordination within the security circles, which he said has brought untold suffering to many Ugandans.
Throughout the parliamentary campaigns, NUP candidates and coordinators repeatedly complained about the kidnap and brutalization of their supporters.
Rogers Ssemakula, one of the National Unity Platform (NUP) supporters and resident of Kabembe in Kyampisi Sub County in Mukono district who went missing on the eve of the presidential and parliamentary elections, was found dead on January 20.
His body was recovered from Kiyunga forest by a team of NUP supporters following days of searching. Ssemakula,’s widow, Zarupha Nampijja, said her husband did not return home on the eve of the presidential and parliamentary elections.
Appearing before parliament last week, the minister of Internal affairs Gen Jeje Odongo said they were still investigating the whereabouts of 31 out of 44 kidnap cases reported.
However, Bobi Wine has said that 3,000 of his followers are missing, either in jail or unaccounted for after alleged abductions by security forces.