KASESE – Proprietors of Margarita Hotel, a popular tourism destination in Kasese Town, are counting losses after it was gutted by fire on Tuesday morning.
The reception part that houses the office of the manager, cash office, dinning, kitchen and the bar among others was destroyed by the fire that also burnt fridges and several files.
Rwenzori East regional police commander Samuel Asiimwe said the the fire was caused by a short circuit.
“It is true Margarita hotel has been caught by fire as a result of a short circuit but we had to swing into action quickly and managed to put off the fire before spreading to other parts of the hotel. We have managed to put off the fire that started from the dining hall, where two fridges were burnt as we establish other items that could have been spoilt” the RPC Asiimwe said.
Hotel Margherita is situated some few kilometers west of Kasese town, Western Uganda in the foothills of the Rwenzori Mountains otherwise known as the “Mountains of the Moon”.