SOROTI – Eleven patients, including a nine-month-old baby, have been discharged from Soroti Regional Referral Hospital after recovering from COVID-19.
The group, all female, had been admitted on May 25, 2020. This brings the total number of recoveries in the country to 420.
While discharging the patients on Wednesday, State Minister for Primary Health Care Joyce Moriku Kaducu appealed to the survivors to be peer educators in their communities.
The hospital director, Dr. Michael Mwanga, said the survivors tested negative after 14 days.
“They came as COVID-19 patients and they are returning home normal like any other person,” Dr Mwanga said.
He appealed to the government to improve on the funding to the hospital which he says has only 13 beds for COVID-19
Ms Lucy Asio, one of the survivors attributed their recovery to good medical care and God.
“When we came here, we found the staff very friendly and we were surprised that they knew all of us by our names,” she said.
The youngest survivor is a daughter of Mr Job Etilu, a business man who also contracted the disease from South Sudan early last month.
Asekenye was hospitalized together with his mother Kasfa Nakatanga.