MOROTO – The number of cholera patients in Moroto district has reached to 260 who are currently admitted creating serious panic in the district. Authorities say it’s due to low latrine coverage in the district.
The disease which broke out early this month has covered 25 villages and eight parishes and has so far claimed five.
The district officials have blamed the outbreak of the disease to poor attitude by the locals towards use of pit latrine.
Dr. Charles Omundu, the district health director said they have continued registering cases on daily basis with the municipality being hit hard.
He said the situation has been made worse with low latrine coverage adding that many people prefer defecating in the open places.
“The worse thing is that we don’t have enough medical personnel to attend the growing number of patients in Loputuk health centre III where the district has put isolation comp for treatment,” he said.
Dr. Omundu was on Wednesday speaking to PML Daily at his office in Moroto.
Last week Moroto Municipal authority closed all the takeaway restaurants and banned sale of fresh foods along the streets with the aim to get rid of the disease.
Dr. Omundu appeals the development partners and the government to come for the rescue saying Covid-19 has taken the attention of people and the district has not received any support to fight the disease.