NAIROBI — Kenya’s President Uhuru Kenyatta has announced that nine has tested positive for COVID-19 bringing Kenya’s total to 234.
In the last 24 hours, President Kenyatta said government has conducted 709 tests and nine have turned positive for COVID-19 while, one died increasing the number of fatalities to 11.
Kenyatta also reported 53 people had been discharged after testing negative of COVID-19.
He noted that the measures instituted by his administration including the curfew as well as the partial lockdown had limited the spread of the disease on a larger scale.
“On the advice of public health experts we moved quickly to implement an individual plan to curb exposure to the virus,” said the President.
The President he said 156 still remained in isolation facilities.
The affected age range for those who had contracted the virus was from 2 years to 64 years all from different social-economic groups, ethnicities and nationalities, highlighted the head of state.
In response to the rise of coronavirus cases in Kenya to three, on March 15 the government closed all schools and directed that all public and private sector workers work from home, wherever possible.
Travel restrictions were later imposed to prevent non-residents from entry. Kenyan nationals and residents were required to self-quarantine for a minimum of fourteen days which were later increased for some.
President Uhuru Kenyatta announced a nation-wide curfew on unauthorized movement from 7pm to 5am beginning March 27.
The government also unveiled measures to buffer Kenyans against financial hardships arising movement restrictions associated with the coronavirus crisis.