KAMPALA — Wednesday’s testing for coronavirus at the Uganda Virus Research Institute was with 240 people and only one person returned positive.
“One case of COVID-19 confirmed out of the 214 samples tested today at @UVRIug. This brings the total number of confirmed cases to 53 in Uganda,” the Ministry of Health twitted.
President Museveni in a live address said most of these were from the quarantine group while others were from the districts that had been suspected of having come in contact with the returnees.
According to the health ministry, a cumulative total of 3,524 samples have been tested for COVID-19.
The number of individuals under institutional quarantine has reduced from the original 1,040 to 613 as of Tuesday.
A total of 427 individuals have been discharged from institutional quarantine. In addition, 855 contacts of the confirmed cases are under follow-up.
All the 53 people confirmed to have coronavirus are said to be in “stable condition” at Mulago National Specialized Hospital (21), Entebbe Grade B Hospital (30), Adjumani (1) and Hoima (1) hospital
The President said the fight against the new coronavirus is easy as a collaborative effort involving the adherance to the general countrywide measures as well as individual initiative.
The President also outlined with emphasis, the gravity of the coronavirus situation that has killed over 80,000 people across the globe, with nearly 1.5 million people infected.
“We are talking about life and death,” he repeated adding that the lockdown is not a matter of convenience.
He vowed to become “harsh” on actors who do not understand how serious this situation is.