KAMPALA — With now 14 cases of COVID-19 confirmed in Uganda, President Yoweri Museveni is tonight expected to announce new measures to forestall the spread of the virus.
The Director General for Health Services at Uganda Health Ministry Dr Henry Mwebesa on Wednesday afternoon announced five new Covid- 19 cases bringing to 14.
Three of the new five cases are Ugandan nationals while the two are Chinese nationals who escaped from quarantine last week.
The Senior presidential press secretary, Mr Don Wanyama on Wednesday afternoon said the president will address the nation following a discussion in cabinet.
“After chairing a special cabinet session today, President Museveni will address the country at 8pm in face of the Covid-19 pandemic,” he tweeted.
Mr. Wanyama said the broadcast will run across all TVs and radios.
The president last week ordered closure of schools and suspended all social, political, religious and cultural gatherings.
He also ordered closure of all borders and suspended passenger flights.
In his recent address on Tuesday, March 25, 2020, he urged Ugandans to stay home and avoid using public means of transport in attempt to prevent the spread of COVID-19.