BEIJING– Mr. Thomas Kanzira, a Ugandan student in Wuhan has revealed that they are stranded because of the current lock-down by the Chinese government.
He made the remarks while on an interview with one of the local television stations on February 10, 2020.
The Corona virus outbreak initially reared its head in Wuhan earlier this year, after which many countries started to evacuate their citizens from China, and restrict the entry of foreigners returning from China
According to Kanzira, they cannot leave China because of the lock down.
“We are stranded in China. If it were up to us amidst what is happening, we would have left. After the directive was passed about 18 days ago, no planes or trains are moving in and out of Wuhan,” he said.
He added that, “All supermarkets, restaurants and pharmacies are closed. If you did not do your shopping earlier, you would be starving right now. We are self-isolating ourselves just as the Chinese government told us to do.”
Kanzira revealed that they have not yet gotten any attention from the Ugandan government apart from a few legislators who want to help.
“We have as well had a few parents reach out to us,” he added.
He said his classmates from Morocco, Libya, Bangladesh and other countries have been evacuated.
“As of today morning, deaths have reached 900 people in six weeks. It is going to take about three to five more months to contain the virus. Ugandan students in Beijing have reached out because we have not yet seen any help from the Ugandan Embassy. But, because of the lock down by the Chinese government, no efforts can reach us,” said Kanzira.
Kanzira noted that the lock down is getting worse that is why they are asking for evacuation.
“An official from my university just contacted me cautioning me about giving any interviews. I will probably be expelled from my university for doing this,” he said.