KAMPALA – Hearing of cases against schools whose Uganda Certificate of Education (UCE) results were withheld by the Uganda National Examinations Board (UNEB) is scheduled to start on Monday, March 2, 2020.
A total of 1,262 candidates from over 40 schools had their results withheld on suspicion of engaging in examination malpractices.
UNEB executive secretary Dan Odongo says that the board has now summoned the school heads and the learners to defend themselves before further action is taken.
Handing over results to Education and Sports minister Janet Museveni last month, Prof Mary Akwakol, the UNEB Chairman said that there were reduced malpractice cases from 1825 in 2018 to 1262 cases.
She said these cases are a result of teachers providing assistance to the students during practicals and students copying from one another particularly in the science subjects
Prof Okwakol, however, said “the 2019 UCE examination was conducted smoothly and free from leakage”
The number of candidates registered for the 2019 examination increased by 0.7% much as the day of the increase was lower than that of 2018 demonstrating the UCE cycle completed.
Overall performance in the UCE 2019 examinations was better than that of the previous year. It improved from 87.2 percent in 2018 to 92.2 percent.