KIGALI – Terror suspect Callixte Nsabimana alias Sankara has Thursday, May 23, appeared before Gasabo Primary Court where he was charged for 16 terror-related crimes, the New Times has reported.
Kagame admistration accuses Mr. Sankara of attacks on Rwandans that left up to nine (9) people dead and many others injured.
Mr. Sankara was also charged with forming a rebel group that carried out the terror attacks, mainly in southern Rwanda.
Kigali administration had previously rebutted information that it was hit hard by Sankara’s rebel group.
The suspect pleaded guilty to all the 16 charges he stands accused, which include terrorism, kidnap, murder, genocide denial, arson, armed robbery, forgery, causing bodily harm among others.
He went on to claim that while he ordered attacks on public installations and security organs, he never ordered attacks on civilians.
During his trial, Callixte #NSABIMANA pleaded guilty on all 16 charges against him. He informed that he was facilitated by Major Bertin a.k.a Moses, #Burundi‘s External Intelligence Officer, to meet Brig Gen Abel #KANDIHO, Head of #Uganda‘s Chieftaincy of Military Intelligence. pic.twitter.com/hHn17tUPp1
— Amb. Olivier Nduhungirehe (@onduhungirehe) May 23, 2019
“Let me address the Nyungwe attacks (of last year)…we had given FNL specific instructions that whatever operation they launch, it should be about destroying bridges, ambush military vehicles, attack sector and district office as well as police and military camps,” Sankara told the court.
“We didn’t expect them to attack civilians,” he added.
FNL is the rebel group he was involved with and held the title of spokesperson.
“When I was arrested and showed evidence of what had happened. I was shocked to see that six people were killed and most were women,” he added.
Appearing in court alongside his lawyer Moise Nkundabarashi, the suspect and denounced his terror outfit.
Nsabimana: I have been working with people from the Intelligence in Burundi but to be specific, the government and military was not involved. They we’re not aware of our clandestine operations.
— The New Times (Rwanda) (@NewTimesRwanda) May 23, 2019
“From today onwards, I am done with FLN and whatever else they may do is on them not me,” he said. “I did not give them the instructions to kill civilians and I take responsibility for my part in it.”
The suspect told the court that he was remorseful.
“I would like to apologise to the President, the injured, the families of the ones that passed away and to Rwandans in general,” he said.