parliament
NEWS

VIDEO: Senior police chiefs chased from funeral of Mityana shooting victim

Senior Police officers, including the Political Commissar Asan Kasingye, were shown the exit by angry mourners at the burial of Samuel Ssekiziyivu, who was shot during the protests in Mityana Municipality on Sunday (FILE PHOTO)

KASANDA – Angry mourners in Myanzi, Kasanda District, on Monday afternoon chased a group of senior police officers, including Political Commissar Asan Kasingye, from the burial of Samuel Ssekiziyivu, who was shot during the protests in Mityana Municipality on Sunday.

Ssekiziyivu, a football fan, was hit by a stray bullet while travelling in a taxi as it passed through the town where residents were demonstrating over what they called torture of their representative in Parliament, Mr Francis Zaake, who is currently admitted to Lubaga Hospital in critical condition following beatings he sustained during the violence that marred the Arua Municipality by-election last week. Five other passengers were injured by bullets. The victims, who were taken Mulago referral Hospital, are Lawrence Jjingo, Jala Nakiryowa, Derrick Ssengooba, Reagan Muwonge and David Asiimwe.

And on Monday, the senior police officers, who had come to commiserate with the family were chased away by the angry mourners who accused police of brutality and being insensitive to people. As the officers left, some mourners also threw stones at them. They later boarded their vehicles and left.

The incident happened as the Inspector General of Police Martins Okoth-Ochola revealed that two police officers who opened fire on the taxi face charges of murder and attempted murder.

He said police have so far established that the two cops; Moshi Kefa (No. 36334 and Morris Cheptai (no. 54214) “at the scene discharged their guns and are being investigated on the offence of murder and attempted murder in relation to the incident.”

Ochola said the cops would be produced in court to answer the charges once investigations are complete.

Police arrested 23 suspects in the riots and the IGP said they will be “screened, fully investigated and those culpable will be taken to court for prosecution on the offences of inciting violence, threatening violence, unlawful assembly and malicious damage to property.”

Comments

iInHouse

All rights reserved. The information contained in this website may not be published, broadcast, re-written or re- distributed without the prior written authority of the publishers

Copyright © 2017. PML Daily

To Top