KAMPALA — Subscribers to Uganda Uganda have slammed a UGX 500 million suit on the telecommunications company before Commercial Division of the High Court over fraudulent deductions from their accounts.
The complainants —including, former Makerere University Guild President David Bala Bwiruka, Rebecca Nambi and Brian Otim through Kaseke-Maguru and Co. Advocates filed the suit against Airtel Uganda after their credit was deducted for just listening in to an audio during a call to a one Daniel Amanyire even ‘the call was never picked’.
The trio is claiming the sum as compensation for the inconvenience, having called Amanyire’s number on different occasions and that although he (Amanyire) didn’t pick the calls, and they (plaintiffs) didn’t press order for voice mail, they received a message from Airtel Uganda that some amount had been deducted from their accounts for that sane call.
Speaking to reporters, the trio said, they filed the case after they had complained to no avail over the problem.
According to Court documents, they also want the judge to order Uganda Communications Commission (UCC), the communications sector regulator, claiming that many other royal customers and subscribers continue to lose their money unfairly at the hands of the network.
Airtel Uganda has 15 days to file a defence in the case.
“You are hereby required to file defence in the said suit 15 days from the date of service of suit on you in the manner prescribed under 0 9r1 civil procedure rule. Should you fail to file a defence on or before the said date, the plaintiffs may proceed on the suit and a ruling may be given in your absence,” states a High Court document signed on July 23, 2020.
Dennis Kamonge, the Legal and Regulatory Director Airtel Uganda confirmed the network has received the summon and “we are preparing our defence.”