KIBALE —I am a telecommunications professional and a Registered Engineer in Uganda and of late a politician and I know Canon Godfrey Mutabazi quite well.
Canon Godfrey Mutabazi is the pioneer executive Director of the Uganda Communications Commission (UCC) following the merger with The Uganda Broadcasting Council then. He oversaw the transition to a now vibrant commission that is responsible for regulation of the communication sector in Uganda.
Some of the big achievements are
1. Good regulatory framework that has brought in a number of investors in the telecom sector and the national benefits therein.
2. The compulsory SIM card registration for all telephone users
3. Improvement in quality of service and service coverage
4. ICT laboratories in all Government Aided secondary schools in Uganda.
5. Computer literacy trainings for communities (youth, women, entrepreneurs, civil servants)
6. Implementation of a National Computer Emergency Response Technology (CERT) to prevent international cyber hackers and attacks
7. Participation and supporting acquisition of modern equipment to facilitate digital migration in Uganda. Those enjoying free to air services in Uganda will appreciate this
8. Facilitation of the transition of the Uganda Institute of Communication Technology (UICT) to a state of the art training facility.
9. Competition at International platforms. Uganda has had brilliant representation at the International Telecommunication Union by chairing key committees of the ITU
10. As a member of the parliamentary committee on commissions State Authorities and State Enterprises in parliament for the past 4 years, I haven’t seen any qualified audit query on UCC by The Auditor General. This means the commission has been efficiently managed by him and his team
11. At a personal level, Mr Mutabazi has touched so many souls directly or indirectly. He is a religious and Godly man. He has supported a number of churches, schools and other institutions in his individual capacity. No wonder he is a Canon in the Anglican church.
12. He has served his contracts without any known scandals, he has served his terms clean.
This is my short analysis about Mr Mutabazi and looking at the above I have no doubt he will continue to live a happy life because God will reward him for his good deeds.
As a representative of the people of Kibale County in Kamwenge District, we are happy to have had one of our own a deligent servant of our country in Mr Godfrey Mutabazi.
God bless you Canon Godfrey Mutabazi.
The writer, Eng Cuthbert Abigaba Mirembe (MUIPE, REng) is a Member of Parliament for Kibale County in Kamwenge District.