KABALE – One of the NRM party aspirants for Ndorwa West constituency in Kabale District has withdrawn from the race, saying it is already rigged in favour of the incumbent, Mr David Bahati.
Mr Nicholas Tuesday Arinaitwe, was contesting against Mr Bahati, who is also the State Minister of Finance for Planning, and two others; Simpson Mpiriirwe, and Mark Raizo Mashemererwa.
But on Wednesday, Arineitwe wrote to the office of Kabale District NRM registrar indicating that he is no longer interested in the race.
Arineitwe argued that he has already predicted irregularities in Friday’s polls. He argues that the District NRM electoral commission has failed to investigate fake NRM registers that his rivals have manipulated.
He also says that some registrars at the village and sub-county level are known supporters of Bahati.
Arineitwe adds that he will contest as an independent candidate in the 2021 general elections.
Maurice Mugenga Keitaba, the Kabale District NRM registrar says that he has received Arineitwe’s withdraw letter.
Edison Turyahabwa, the District NRM Publicity Secretary says that the party has no problem with Arineitwe’s withdrawal from the race since he did it willingly.
Turyahabwa also rubbishes Arineitwe’s accusation that the commission sides with Bahati.
This is the second NRM candidate to withdraw from the race ahead of the primaries.
Early last month, Dixon Kagurusi Ampumuza, one of the Kinkiizi West County Member of Parliament aspirants withdrew from the race alleging harassment of his supporters by security personnel. He, however, vowed to contest in the next year’s elections as an independent candidate.
He was contesting against the incumbent MP James Ruggimana Kaberuka, Julius Mbabazi, Gregory Mugabe, Vanansio Mujuni Monday and Adon Kahinda.