KAMPALA – The State Minister of Foreign Affairs Okello Oryem has confirmed that Turkey-based Ugandan blogger Fred Lumbuye will be deported back home on Saturday.
Oryem made the revelation on Friday afternoon at the Foreign Ministry headquarters, saying that the suspect will be removed to custody on arrival.
“Lumbuye to be deported to Uganda tomorrow morning. On arrival he will be put in custody and later brought to book for inciting sectarianism using social media.,” the minister said.
According to the minister, Lumbuye was in Turkish custody with some other Ugandans and they had been charged with several offences they had committed.
“They will all be deported. Nobody is above the law, including me. Lumbuye and his friends will have to pay the price,” minister confirmed.
He said that on arrival, the group will be received by authorities and said that none of them will be tortured.
“Lumbuye and his accomplices will be interrogated and then prosecuted in court depending on the charges preferred by the DPP.”
Upon arrest on Wednesday, Oryem said that “anybody who commits a crime in any country whatsoever will pay the price for committing and breaking the law, including in Uganda.”
Mr Oryem said that Lumbuye was not a special person and should not expect to be treated exceptionally if he broke the law.
The National Unity Platform’s (NUP) Facebook and YouTube vlogger was reportedly kidnapped on Tuesday and taken to unknown destination.
Lumbuye, who has been for long wanted by the Ugandan government is known for making reckless statements online via Facebook Live against President Museveni, the first family, Buganda Kingdom, Katikiro Peter Mayiga and other government personalities.
In many of his vlogs, Lumbuye could be seen donning the popular red beret attached to the people power movement and its supporters in Uganda.
In July, 2021, the spokesperson of the Criminal Investigations Department, Charles Twine said that security agencies had intensified efforts in tracking the blogger whom they say was the prime orchestrator of the devastating news of the ‘death’ of president Museveni.
This followed President Museveni’s directive to security services to quickly investigate and follow up individuals who peddle false news on social media.
“We need to solve this issue.. it is not security but an idiotic problem..social media. Social media has been saying Museveni is dead. When I went to Bombo people were looking…. Because they had been told by social media that Museveni is dead. Security service needs to solve that problem. They need to check and locate quickly, the one who tells such as story and waste peoples time. They should go for you, locate where you are and come for you. If you are in Europe, we denounce you. Say go to hell! he said.