KAMPALA – Coronavirus pandemic continues to be a big threat for the world and Uganda in particular.
The country has confirmed 207 cases of Covid-19, which happens to be the highest cases since a second wave was announced.
According to the Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Health, Dr. Diana Atwine, the results were from Covid-19 tests done on May 24, which makes a total 44,281 confirmed cases in the country.
According to the ministry, 202 of the cases are contacts and alerts with the majority of 139 from Kampala, 11 from Gulu, 13 from Tororo, 6 from Mbale among other districts.
Five of the cases are of truck drivers, four of whom were intercepted from the Elegu point of entry and one from Mutukula.
Earlier on Wednesday, Atwine warned that the government is highly considering the initiation of another lockdown if the covid-19 second wave is to be contained.
“It cannot be ruled out because for us life comes first, if the public has refused to take the measures in place, I think a lockdown is a way to go, some areas must be locked down unless people really get to observing SOPs otherwise we shall get overwhelmed,” said Dr Atwine.
Dr Atwine said the ministry is soon going to engage with the president after thorough consultations with the experts for guidance.
According to her, the second wave is worsening and that the Intensive Care Units are already full with public hospitals soon running out of space to accommodate patients.
“We are going to get to a level where hospitals must be left to critical patients, right now Entebbe is full, Mulago by yesterday we had 84 and by last evening the number should have increased to 100,” said Dr Atwine.
Atwine says the situation is worrying since the majority of the new infection are from young people.
“Two days ago, we got 187 cases in one day so I can authoritatively tell you that the second wave of COVID-19 is here. Our ICUs and HDUs are full, we lost six young people in one week so be alert.”