KAMPALA – A report has concluded the September 2020 fire that gutted Makerere University’s iconic main building–Ivory Tower due to an electric short circuit.
According to a copy of the report seen by this website, a faulty electrical system led to the fire that destroyed several documents, especially in the bursar’s office. The report was compiled by the Criminal Investigations Directorate and the Ministry of Works.
CID spokesperson Charles Twiine confirmed the report findings, adding that the detailed report will be officially released to the general public by the Ministry of Works.
Since the tragic day, there were allegations pegging the fire to the different administrative woe fights within Makerere University citing a human activity in the case.
But in a recent communication to staff, the Makerere University Vice Chancellor Professor Barnabas Nawangwe also highlighted snapshots of the report and shared several recommendations provided.
The recommendations according to Nawangwe include, an overhaul of the electrical systems in the Makerere University buildings, provision of a fire hydrant on campus, recruitment of electrical experts, and a total reconstruction of the building among others.
On January 25, Cabinet also discussed and took note about the recommendations on the investigations into the fire.
Previous minor fire outbreaks on the same building were also blamed to electricity-related problems. For instance in 2018, a fire broke out in the central registry although it was put out before it caused any damage. The cause was later attached to old electrical wiring that was eaten by a rat thus causing a short circuit.