KAMPALA- The Minister for ICT and National Guidance Judith Nabaakoba has revealed that the non-compliance of Ugandans to the COVID-19 Standard Operating Procedures will lead to another lockdown.
While addressing the media on Sunday, August 23, Ms Nabakooba said the public is to blame for the current situation as they have failed to take seriously the guidance from our experts.
“As government it is not in our interest to announce another lockdown because people’s livelihoods are adversely affected.
However under the current circumstances, it is obvious that people will only comply after another lockdown has been put in place,” she said.
According to Nabakooba Kampala Metropolitan Area has has now turned out to be the biggest source of COVID-19 infections and deaths adding that 90% of all these new infections are from people using taxis and buses.
“The public must understand that almost 90% of all these new infections in Kampala are from people using taxis and buses.This should not come as a surprise because all public transporters in the taxi parks and bus terminals failed to administer the guidelines that were given when the lockdown was lifted,” said Nabakooba.
She called upon all leaders regardless of their political or religious inclination to own up and speak the same language when it comes to preventing COVID-19.
She however noted that It is unfortunate that some leaders are continuing to use their spaces to confuse the public with statements that question the existance of COVID-19.
“It is such reckless comments and behavior hat have gotten us to where we are today.
Every life lost to COVID-19 is very unfortunate because all the guidance on how to stay safe is with us,” Nabakooba said.
The minister further revealed that so far, more than 13 million masks have been given out however government is getting feedback that some of the masks being produced by some of the companies contracted are of poor quality and do not meet the standards issued by Ministry of Health.
“This is a big disappointment on the side of the suppliers entrusted with the responsibility of producing quality face masks meant to save lives of Ugandans.
Government is going to follow up with the respective suppliers and those found guilty of producing substandard masks are at risk of having their contracts cancelled,” she noted.
Commenting on the social media rumours on the Kabaka, Nabakoba said Uganda Communications Commission is monitoring some of these unscrupulous individuals and very soon arrests will be made.
“My advise to all social media users is that please do not share or continue to circulate any information you find online whose source you are not sure about.
Those behind the fake news scams are warned to immediately stop before the law catches up with them,” said the minister.