KAMPALA — South Sudan’s Ministry of Health on Sunday affirmed the existence of 67 new COVID-19 cases in the nation, increasing the total number of infected people to 1,604.
Dr. Makur Koryom, Health Ministry’s Undersecretary told state media in Juba that the new cases were confirmed positive after the public health laboratory released test results of 183 samples, including six follow-up test results.
The health official said a total of 15 people have so far recovered from the novel coronavirus.
“The biggest story of today’s discharges is that H.E the First Vice President, Dr. Riek Machar Teny, Minister of Defense Angelina Teny, Minister of Justice and Constitutional Development Reuben Madol Arol, Minister of Information Michael Makuei Lueth, Minister of Environment Mrs Josephine Napon, and Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs Deng Dau Deng, have all tested negative on the second follow-up test and therefore are declared discharged,” Makur said.
The total number of coronavirus-related deaths in the country has risen to 19, the undersecretary said.
Health experts have raised concerns that the poor healthcare system in South Sudan could cause havoc.
“South Sudan’s health sector lacks medical personnel, modern healthcare equipment and many citizens still find it difficult to access the existing health facilities in many parts of the country,” Dr. Emmanuel Timothy, the head of the World Health Organization (WHO) in Upper Nile State, told Radio Tamazuj last month.