KAMPALA —The Ministry of Health on Monday morning announced 21 new cases of COVID-19 bringing the total number of confirmed cases to 248.
All confirmed cases are Ugandan nationals.
17 of new cases were identified at Elgu border post, 3 from Mutukula and one from Malaba border.
The 21 cases all truck drivers were out of the 1071 samples analyzed on Sunday while all the 253 community samples returned negative for the virus.
So far, the total number of recoveries that have henceforth been discharged is 63.
No fatalities have been registered.
Dr Henry Mwebesa the Director General Service explained the delay in releasing Sunday Coronavirus updates
“Following the Presidential directive of only allowing in truck drivers who test negative, he said samples had to be sorted appropriately.
“Samples had to be divided between UVRI and NHLS for quick turn around time. Testing at NHLS started at 7.30pm last evening,” he said.
“Ugandan truck drivers who test positive will be evacuated directly to hospitals, Dr. Mwebesa said.
Despite the rising number of cases brought in by mostly truck drivers, President Yoweri Museveni still insists that cargo transportation must continue arguing that stopping them would have a very detrimental effect on the economy since they bring in “essential goods”.
The president is expected to announce more measures on Tuesday May 19