KAMPALA — Uganda continued to record good gains in the fight against the spread of the novel Coronavirus as four more patients were discharged from Entebbe Grade B hospital on Wednesday, April 22 evening.
Earlier in the day, the Ministry of Health had reported discharge of three other patients from the national referral hospital at Mulago, as the lockdown measures instituted by the government for the last 13 days begun to bare fruit.
The development brings Uganda’s total recoveries to 45.
Those discharged were handed certificates of recovery by junior Health Minister Robinah Nabbanja at the Mulago Hospital and Entebbe Grade B where they had been admitted.
She said they will now undergo psychosocial support before being reintegrated back into the community.
All first patients who fully recovered from the coronavirus were treated using the controversial hydroxychloroquine drug that is yet to be approved by the World Health Organisation, according to Dr. Henry Mwebesa, the Director-General Health Services at the Health Ministry.
“The patients we are discharging were on hydroxychloroquine and erythromycin actually,” he tweeted when the country discharged the first three COVID-19 patients on April 11.
Uganda is going all out to deploy the treatment regime, President Yoweri Museveni said on Tuesday, despite caution from the WHO, scientists and top epidemiologists that hydroxychloroquine has fatal side effects.