KAMPALA — Uganda has confirmed three more cases of Coronavirus on Friday April 3, with total infections now rising to 48.
During the Friday night nation address by President Museveni, Health Minister Dr. Jane Ruth Aceng said two of the three cases are Ugandan nationals who travelled back to the country including from the United States in March.
The third case is an Indian national who traveled to the country from Dubai.
She said they had all been isolated as all the persons who came into contact with them are being traced.
Dr. Aceng also said that of the 48 total cases, nine were identified at the airport upon their return, 26 were identified while in quarantine and 13 had the opportunity to interact with the public.
The Ministry of Health has so far listed 660 contacts for follow-up. “But it won’t stop at them. The contacts of the 660 will also be tried to be identified for follow-up as well.”
“You should understand that of the returnees, a big group got back into the general population and it is only the 13 of these that were traced and tested positive,” clarified the Health minister.
To contain COVID-19, Uganda is implementing measures, which restrict gatherings and the movement of people with a nationwide lockdown that will initially go for 14 days.
Activists have since asked the government to use these measures in a considered, evidence-based manner, and make sure that people can continue to access basic necessities.
As many people in the Kampala metropolitan area live in crowded conditions or work in the informal sector and need to earn money daily to survive, activists say it is important that government make provisions to ensure that people can still access essential services and good.
At Friday night’s address Kampala minister Betty Amongi announced the government would start food distribution in Kampala and Wakiso house to house.