KAMPALA — An eight month old baby is the youngest victim to test positive for coronavirus in Uganda, the Ministry of Health (MoH) has announced on Wednesday.
Addressing the media at Nile Avenue in Kampala, today March 25, 2020, Dr Henry Mwebesa the Director General of Health Services at the MoH said the baby presented difficulties in breaking, fever and soar throat but is “under stable condition and isolated at Iganga Hospital.”
It is believed the baby was infected after the father returned from Kisumu, in Kenya where the virus has wrecked havoc in the recent weeks.
Dr. Mwebase said both the unnamed parents of the child have been isolated.
Dr. Mwebase said the baby tested positive alongside other four patients including two Chinese nationals who escaped from quarantine last week.
Other patients include two Ugandans.
A 63 year old male Uganda, a resident of Najjanakumbi in Kampala who traveled back from Germany and a 57 year old male, a resident of Adjumani who has no travel history.
With the new cases, Uganda now has 14 COVID-19 patients.
The government has since banned all public gatherings as well as closed schools and institutions of learning, bars and night clubs.
Uganda has also banned all travels in and out of the East African country to stem the Coronavirus spread, which would challenge the healthcare system.
Only emergency landing by plane will be allowed on the Ugandan soil, President Museveni announced on Saturday last week