KAMPALA – Last year in on December 19, the government announced that manual passport system would effective December 31 and all applicants will be expected to apply for the same using the online process.
Speaking at the launch of the new e-passport portal in Kampala, the minister of State for Internal Affairs, Mario Obiga Kania, said the new system is faster, accurate and convenient.
Initially, the application process for getting a Passport has been necessitating the applicant to obtain and fill a form, attach photographs and associated documents, look for the signature of the recommender, and finally present the file to the Immigration Officer for manual processing.
According to the Ministry of Internal Affairs (MIA), this has been a long and tedious process prone to delay, manipulation and a source of great temptations to staff and the public for corrupt practices.
Now, to apply for an e-Passport, one needs to follow the following procedures:
1. Log on to www.passports.go.ugand accept the terms of the service,
2. Choose the type of service,
3. Fill in the passport application form,
4. Choose the mode of payment, print out the application ID with the Payment Registration Number (PRN) and go ahead and pay using the payment mode of your choice cash (over the counter), mobile money, EFT, Pay way and all types of visa cards.
5. After payment, access your account and schedule an appointment on the convenient date for your interview at the Passport Office.
6. Please come with your application ID, your National ID, your certificate to confirm your profession (If any) and a copy of the recommender’s National ID and a copy of the old passport for those renewing.
Minister Kajia also asked all those who paid UGX 150,000 for Passports and have not yet got them to go online, apply for the Passport afresh and pay the new Passport fee of UGX 250,000; and then seek a refund for the earlier paid UGX 150,000 from Uganda Revenue Authority (URA) after the Passport is issued. “We no longer accept the UGX 100,000 Top-up for Passport fees.”
The fees for the new e-Passport shall remain as follows:
1. Ordinary Passport (48 Pages) – UGX 250,000;
2. Service Passport (64 Pages) – UGX 400,000;
3. Diplomatic Passport (64 Pages) – UGX 500,000;
4. Express Processing – UGX 150,000;
5. Courier Service for Applicants abroad – UGX 10,000;
6. Certification of Passport – UGX 30,000 and
7. Fine for Replacement of lost or damaged Passport costs – UGX 100,000.