WAKISO – Police has on September 15, revealed that the explosion at Marcos gym near Quality Supermarket in Kyaliwajala ward Kira municipality in Wakiso District was due to excess heat.
The incident that happened at around 5:30 pm damaged Matomachi building near Quality Supermarket along Naalya – Namugongo road and caused havoc in the area.
According to a Facebook statement by Police, the initial response was affected by the territorial police who identified that there was an explosion inside the 3 storied building.
“Preliminary post-blast interventions reveal that the explosion was due to a steam bath boiler which exploded as a result of excess heat inside the sealed metallic device. It is also suspected that the control valve for the boiler would have been faulty,” reads a statement in part.
Adding that, “The immediate gas escape from the sealed metallic container caused a mechanical explosion which damaged immediate houses within the vicinity.”
Police noted that the victims were evacuated and scene of crime cordoned off.
“Counter-terrorism experts were called immediately and made initial assessment and confirmed that the explosion had occurred,” reads an excerpt.
There were no serious injuries were registered and inquiries into the incident still ongoing.