KAMPALA – Hardly a few hours of the wife of the arrested veteran journalist Joseph Kabuleta running to the High Court civil division seeking for orders to have him produced in court, police has released him on bond.
The police spoke’s person Fred Enanga said that if the Director of Public Prosecutions ((DPP) assembles evidence enough to warrant prosecution then he will be re-arrested.
Kabuleta was arrested on July 11 in the evening and detained on charges of offensive communication against President Museveni.
He was also arrested together with Goodwin Matisko on allegations of obstruction of Justice when he tried to flee with Kabuleta’s phones, however, he has since been released on police bond.
Kabuleta was expected to be brought to court on July 15 after spending four days in the police custody, however, this did not happen something that prompted his heavily pregnant wife Rebecca Kabuleta to run to court for orders to have him produced in any competent court.
This means that this application has been taken by events since Kabuleta has now been released.
She wanted court to make the orders to the Commandant, Special Investigations Unit, Inspector General of Police (IGP) and Attorney General (AG) whom she accuses of illegally arresting her husband.
Through her lawyers of Walyemera & Co. Advocate, Rebecca filed a habeas corpus an application made in court seeking a person under detention to be brought before a judge or magistrate especially to secure that person’s release unless lawful grounds are shown to justify their continued incarceration.
Rebecca stated that her husband was kidnapped by men in plain clothing who drove him away in a Toyota Wish motor vehicle registration number UBB 459D from Drew & Jacs Café at forest mall, Lugogo on July 12, 2019.
She stated that the continued detention of her husband is illegal, unlawful, unconstitutional and an infringement of his personal liberty since the security forces have failed to produce him in any court or charge him in any competent court without any explanation to his next of kin
Rebecca had explained that upon Kabuleta’s arrest, he was driven around where they eventually discovered that he had been taken to Special Investigations Unit(SIU) , Kireka where he has been illegally detained to date yet the said SIU is not a gazette detention facility.
In the court documents, Rebecca had also accused the security of blocking her and her husband’s other relatives, medical doctors and legal team from accessing him to date yet it is now more than 48hours since he was kidnapped which procedure leading to his illegal detention is tainted with human rights violations.
She had stated that her husband has a fundamental human right to liberty which she sought for as his continued detention is arbitrary, illegal, unconstitutional, an abuse of the legal process and amounts to torture or to cruel an degrading treatment” she asserts.