RAKAI– Mr Emilian Kayima, the Police spokesperson has confirmed that investigations are ongoing to unearth how the boys’ dormitory at St. Bernard’s Secondary School in Kifamba sub-county, Rakai district was set ablaze on Sunday night.
Latif Zaake, the Masaka Regional Police Commander said about 50 victims who have been admitted at Kitovu government hospital are in serious condition.
Others who suffered minor injuries are receiving treatment at St. Bernard’s health facility, in Mannya
Zaake also says, four out of ten senior four students who had been suspended have been arrested in connection with the incident.
Rakai District Police Commander, Ben Kashumbusha, said investigators suspect that after being expelled from school, the students who were not happy with the decision by the management planned to revenge by collaborating with other people inside the school.
He said investigators have not clearly found out how culprits accessed the school.
He added that investigators suspect assailants coordinated with colleagues inside the school which made it easy for them to access the school.
“On entering, the assailants who were armed with petrol and matchboxes first put padlocks on the dormitory’s door setting it ablaze,” he said.
He added that the police fire brigade had to break the padlock on the door in order to rescue some of the students from the raging fire.
However, earlier reports indicated that rescue teams comprised of the citizens from Mannya trading centre, students and teachers struggled to unlock the padlocks outside the dormitory doors, in an effort to save the children.
They said Police reached late at the scene and that by the time the fire brigade arrived at the school, 10 students were already dead whereas many others were in critical condition.
While others who sustained minor injuries are receiving treatment at St. Bernard’s health facility in Mannya.