GULU—Business in Gulu town came to a stand still as fire gutted Don petrol station, sending many traders scampering for safety.
The Thursday afternoon fire was reportedly sparked off by a generator at about 4pm at the station located along Gulu-kampala highway in Pece Division in Gulu municipality.
James Onono Ojok, a witness, said they were covered in smoke in the petrol station’s hall where he and more than six other Gulu University students were meeting to revise for the ongoing examinations.
“We smelt something similar to a burning tyre and suddenly we were covered in smoke as everyone scampered for safety,” Onono said.
He commended the staff for putting out the fire before it caused excessive damage.
Another witness, Ebong Kibuka, a security guard at the petrol station, said immediately after smelling something strange, he made an alarm to inform people of the eminent danger.
He said he rushed and picked one of the fire extinguishers at the station and began shooting at the generator room which was completely covered in smoke.
ASP Dick Ouni, the Aswa river region police fire officer, confirmed the incident and said it could have been caused due to overheating of the generator.
He noted that police will sensitise staff of different petrol stations on how they can manage fire outbreak.
The fire officer said it is the first incident of fire outbreak in Aswa river region and advised business companies to be alert,especially during this dry season.
In an effort to find out the extent of damage caused, the Station manager only identified as Hassan said the technical team is yet to assess the magnitude of damage.