KAMPALA – The Press Conference by Ministry of Health that had been slated to take place on Friday, March 20, 2020, at Uganda Media Centre (UMC) has been called off, The Health Ministry spokesman Emmanuel Ainebyoona has said.
The press conference was meant to update the nation on the Covid19 (Coronavirus) situation in the country by health minister Dr. Jane Ruth Aceng.
“All Media houses will be required to pick both audio and video content about this press conference from the National Broadcaster, UBC,” Ainebyoona said.
He added that this is meant to avoid overcrowding which is a risk factor for the spread of COVID-19.
President Yoweri Museveni on Wednesday, March 17 announced a ban on large public gatherings including weddings, church and Jumat services for the next 32 days in a bid to help prevent the spread of the coronavirus.
The country has yet to record a case of the virus.
Museveni also announced the closure of schools including universities starting from Friday, citing the need to prevent the influx of cases from countries in the East African region.
Banks, hospitals, supermarkets, and markets are not affected by the directive, but those in operation must adhere to hygiene measures and also provide their workers and those that come into their establishment with sanitizers.
The movement restrictions will affect Easter festivities and religious services — but Museveni said it was better for citizens to err on the side of caution.
“The prayers will continue but in homes. The religious leaders can use the TVs, radios stations to continue preaching. His Holiness, Pope Francis, as usual, set a good example of enlightenment on this by abandoning his customary preaching in St. Peters’ Square and is instead, using the TV,” Museveni said.