KAMPALA – E-Commerce platform Jumia has offered the support of its integrated ecosystem which includes a marketplace, logistics and online payments to governments in Africa, as part of the global action against the COVID-19.
“Jumia cares about you. Wash hands often, avoid crowds and touching your face. We are a strong Uganda, we will beat this virus!” said Ron Kawamara, Jumia Uganda CEO.
Jumia’s actions to support governments in their fight against COVID-19 include:
- Facilitation of social distancing by enabling consumers to buy online. By offering contactless delivery options, we eliminate physical contact and potentially reduce a person to person transmission.
- Providing access to affordable basic foods and sanitary essentials on the marketplace platform. By partnering with thousands of vendors, like Reckitt Benckiser, and others, we are able to maintain fair prices and fight against price gouging. Jumia has waived the commission on specific sanitary products to help consumers get them at the lowest price and implemented measures to control prices.
- Offering Jumia’s logistics networks to help distribute test kits, health pamphlets & key products to where they are needed. Additionally, Jumia provides safe deliveries to consumers everywhere, including remote and rural areas, with Jumia’s integrated logistics network. This is important especially for elderly and sick people at home.
- Sourcing and distribution of face masks. Leveraging our access to supply, in particular through our network of vendors outside Africa, we have donated certified face masks to Health Ministries in Kenya, Ivory Coast, Morocco, Nigeria, Uganda and others, and offered to coordinate the distribution across healthcare facilities and workers, leveraging the company’s last-mile distribution.
- We are also urging our consumers to pay online through MTN Mobile Money, in support of the governments’ bid to reduce the risk of transmission through physical cash.
- Enhancing the visibility of key health instructions. Jumia attracts millions of customer visits and searches on its platform. As such, we are collaborating with the Ministries of Health in Nigeria, Egypt, Ghana, Ivory Coast, Morocco, and South Africa by using our online platform to share important health messages from the Ministries. We are also engaging with the Health Ministries in other countries where Jumia operates to offer the same. We anticipate that as the pandemic evolves, Health authorities may need to address different areas of concerns and a platform like Jumia can amplify the reach of much-needed information.