Super 8: Karim Ndugwa’s late header sinks Tooro United

Ndugwa (left) celebrates after scoring the winner on Tuesday. (PHOTOS/Wakiso)

Pilsner Super 8
Tooro United 2-1 Wakiso Giants
Wakissha Resource Center, Wakiso
Tuesday, 13-08-2019

Karim Ndugwa came off the bench to score the winner as Wakiso Giants defeated Tooro United 2-1 in the Pilsner Super 8, on Tuesday.

Geoffrey Sserunkuma hand initially put the Purple Sharks ahead in the first half before Davis Ssali equalized for Wasswa Bbosa’s charges.

At the start, the game got off to a slow start with both sides trading possession but concentrating it in the middle.

Insidr three minutes, Geoffrey Sserunkuma controlled a Yasin Mugume low cross, turned inside in the area and lobbed Tooro custodian Mehdi Kibirige but was unfortunate as his effort bounced off the under-side of the cross bar before Mike Kawooya clears it to safety.

On 20 minutes, Sserunkuma was brought down by Tooro United captain Mike Kawooya in the penalty area, prompting the referee to point to the spot. The veteran striker picked himself up and slotted the resulting penalty past Mehdi Kibirige in the Tooro goal, handing Wakiso a 1-0 lead in the process.

Sserunkuma (left) is brought down by Kawooya inside the area.

Mugume could have doubled Wakiso’s lead six minutes later but the winger shot wide while one on one with Kibirige after he (Mugume) had pounced onto a lose pass by Arthur Kiggundu.

With pressure mounting, Tooro were forced into a first substitution on 28 minutes with Musa Mukasa taken off and replaced by Isa Mubiru.

At the stroke of half-time, Tooro equalized. Derrick Teko sent Davis Ssali on his way before the winger hut the back of the net via a ferocious drive.

With half-time beckoning, Tooro could have added a second but Simon Namwanja stretched to diverted Isa Mubiru’s cross, out for a corner before it reached the waiting Ssali.

At the start of the second half, Karim Ndugwa was brought on to replace Mugume as Wakiso called for a first change.

Tooro started the second half on the offensive and Willy Kavuma tried his luck from distance but his effort went wide of the target.

At the other end, it was Duncan Sseninde to try his lack from distance but it was a similar result.

On 57 minutes, Mubiru got another chance to double his and Tooro’s tally but blazed over off Mubiru’s free-kick.

Tooro got a glorious opportunity to take the lead on 65 minutes but after running through on goal, he hesitated to shoot and decided to play in Kavuma whose first time shoot was charged down by Hassan Wasswa.

At the other end, Sserunkuma forced a brilliant save from Kibirige after the striker controlled Muwadda’s cross and shot at the half volley.

With 11 minutes to play, Emma Mutebi was brought on to replace Sseninde.

The former Lweza winger made instant contribution, assisting Wakiso’s second goal. Mutebi picked up the ball at the center-line, made a good run down the left before crossing fro Ndugwa to head in pass Kibirige.

Two minutes from time, Yafessi Mubiru was at the end of Tooro’s final chance of the game, heading over from close range, a Kavuma corner.

In the end, Wakiso Giants held on to register their first victory at this year’s Pilsner Super 8 tournament. The win sees them march into the 5th/6th place playoff game.

Wakiso Giants will now contest the 5th/6th place.

For Tooro, they have now lost both of their Super 8 games and will now fight for 7th/8th position in the pre-season tournament.

Wakiso starting XI

Yasin Mugabi (gk), Muwadda Kateregga, Simon Namwanja, Hassan Wasswa Dazo, Fahad Kawooya, Hakim Ssenkumba, Ivan Kiwewa, Hassan Ssenyonjo, Duncan Sseninde, Yasin Mugume, Geoffrey Sserunkuma.



Copyright@2019: PMLDaily

To Top