Fahad Bayo strikes twice as Vipers defeats KCCA FC to win maiden Super 8 trophy

The Vipers team that started in the win over KCCA FC on Sunday. (PHOTO/Vipers SC)

Super 8 Final
Vipers SC 2-0 KCCA FC
Mutessa II Stadium, Wankulukuku
Sunday, 25-08-2019

WANKULUKUKU – Vipers SC defeated KCCA FC 2-0 to win their maiden Super 8 trophy on Sunday afternoon.

Debutant Fahad Bayo was KCCA’s tormentor in chief as he struck once in each half to hand his side the victory on a chilly day in Wankulukuku.

KCCA FC who came into the game as defending champions, having won the inaugural edition last year, had spells in the game but never really looked like themselves especially in the final third.

Viper SC along with their Sunday opponents are the only sides to win the preseason tournament since its inception in 2018.

The Venoms who had lost their last two cup games against KCCA FC got off to a flying start as Bayo opened the scoring on 11 minutes. The former Proline striker met Abraham Ndugwa’s free-kick after Allan Okello had brought down Frank ‘Zaga’ Tumwesigye and headed in past the helpless Jamil Malyamungu.

Bayo who got the node to start ahead of the iconic big-name signing Shaban Muhammad looked isolated upfront for the better part of the game but pounced once again in the second half, to apply the telling blow.

With KCCA on the offensive, Vipers regained possession in their own half and off a fast counter attack, substitute Brian Nkubi picked out Bayo with a low cross before the forward tapped in at the near post for his and the Venoms second of the day.

Earlier in the first half, Dan Sserunkuma who started on the left side of a three-man attack could have doubled Vipers advantage before the break but his lofted effort was comfortably saved by Malyamungu after the former Gor Mahia striker was played through on goal by Ndugwa.

Bayo had a chance to complete his hat trick late on in the game but saw a low free-kick pushed away by Malyamungu. Ssenfuka tried to pounce on the rebound but his effort was charged down by the stretching Samuel Kato.

KCCA dominant but fail to create clear-cut opportunities

KCCA dominated most of the game with their trademark passing but struggled to create clear-cut openings.

Okello who came into the game having scored four goals in his last 5 games tried his luck from distance on multiple occasions but could not find the target.

The 20-year old picked up a simple pass from Simon Sserunkuma but shot agonizingly over from just outside the area.

In the second half, Okello once again shot over after picking up the ball just outside the Vipers area.

As the game wore on, the KCCA FC players who defeated African Stars 2-0 in the CAF Champions League on Friday and had only a day of rest before Sunday’s game, were looking increasingly tired.

The usually calm and composed Okello wasted most of the last minutes verbally confronting both the referee and Vipers players.

Defender John Revita was sent off late in the game after he was showed a second yellow card following a foul on substitute Tito Okello. The former Express FC defender had been booked earlier in the half after tagging-back Bayo.

Muzamir Mutyaba wasted KCCA
‘s last decent opportunity, shooting straight at Mutombora following a short corner by Kizza.

The loss denied KCCA FC a chance to win a second title in the offseason. The Kasasiros had earlier-last month- won the CECAFA Kagame Cup in Rwanda.

Starting teams

Vipers SC

Fabien Mutombora, Paul Willa, Farouk Musis, Bashir Asiku, Halid Lwaliwa, Siraje Ssentamu, Frank ‘Zaga’ Tumwesigye, Abraham Ndugwa, Innocent Wafula, Fahad Bayo, Dan Sserunkuma.


Jamil Malyamungu, Samuel Kato, Peter Magambo, John Revita, Mustapha Kizza, Nicholas Kasozi, Muzamir Mutyaba, Allan Okello, Mike Mutyaba, Simon Sserunkuma, Erisa Ssekisambu.



Copyright@2019: PMLDaily

To Top