parliament
NEWS

Bugisu and Sebei leaders agree to relocate landslide victims to Bulambuli

Government, represented by the PM Ruhakana Rugunda together with Bugisu and Sebei leaders held a meeting in Mbale and agreed to promptly relocate and resettle those at the risk of landslides on the slopes of Mt Elgon, to safer places, starting with the victims of the recent Bududa landslides (PML Daily PHOTO)

MBALE – Leaders from nine districts that make up Bugisu and Sebei sub-regions on Thursday reached an agreement to relocate the victims of Bududa landslides to Bulambuli District.

In a meeting attended by district chairmen, Prime Minister Ruhakana Rugunda, RDCs, MPs, and other stakeholders, the leaders said the relocation starts immediately.

Dr Rugunda told journalists after the two-hour meeting that they resolved to start the relocation immediately.

“The exercise is starting today and out of 32 billion that the cabinet directed to be made available, already 10 billion has been released and people are going to be moved to the said land,” he said.

“Implementation is now the key element and you know many mistakes are done during implementation that is why we are consulted and we continue to consult local leaders who are on the ground to make sure we move together and mistakes are avoided,” he added.

The Prime Minister also dismissed claims that the land on which the residents are to be relocated in Bunamputye does not exist following disputes.

“The government bought the land and the local leaders should rest assured that the land belongs to government and now it’s going to belong to people, who will be relocated there,” he said.

President Museveni, on a visit of the Bududa communities affected by the mudslides. The President sanctioned for relocation the people (PPU PHOTO)

The commissioner disaster preparedness and management, Mr Martin Owori, said that over 900 houses will be built by UPDF with 300 built in the first phase within the first four months.

“We will start next week with the launch of construction of over 300 permanent houses and other amenities for the landslide victims, who will be first transferred,” he said.

He explained that the land has been divided into three plots, two for residential purposes and one for mechanical agriculture.

The Bududa district chairperson, Mr Wilson Watila, welcomed the plan.

“For now, what is most important is relocation of our people,” he said.

Up to 60 bodies have so far been recovered following the mudslides that hit Bududa district recently. The tragedy destroyed villages in the sub-counties of Buwali, Bukalasi, Nalwanga and Bubiita.

Comments

iInHouse

All rights reserved. The information contained in this website may not be published, broadcast, re-written or re- distributed without the prior written authority of the publishers

Copyright © 2017. PML Daily

To Top