KAMPALA – The Ministry of Justice and Constitutional Affairs will soon table a Bill in Parliament that seeks to formalize the merging and dissolving of 25 agencies after Cabinet on Monday okayed the proposal.
The review of the agencies’ work started in July 2017 following President Museveni’s directive to Prime Minister Ruhakana Rugunda, who sought to reduce government expenditure.
And on Monday, Cabinet agreed to disband some of the agencies and merge others. Information minister Frank Tumwebaze confirmed the Cabinet decision but declined to give details, saying a press conference will be held on Tuesday to confirm the move.
However, sources inside Cabinet, who preferred anonymity, said the biggest casualty is the Uganda National Roads Authority, whose functions will return to the Works and Transport ministry. The Uganda Road Fund and Transport Licensing Board will also return to the Works and Transport ministry.
Others that have been disbanded are Uganda Registration Services Bureau, Uganda Electricity Generation Co Limited, Uganda Electricity Transmission Co Limited, Uganda Electricity Distribution Co Limited, and Rural Electrification Agency.
Others are Lotteries and Gaming Regulatory Board, Departed Asians Properties Custodian Board, National Agricultural Advisory Services Organisation, Uganda Trypanosomiasis Control Council and Dairy Development Authority. Uganda Coffee Development Authority, Cotton Development Organisation, National Identification & Reg Authority NGO Bureau, National Information Technology Authority, Uganda Aids Commission and the National Drug Authority are also affected.
Uganda Blood Transfusion Services, Uganda Industrial Research Institute, Uganda National Council for Science & Technology and Uganda Land Commission have also been disbanded.
Only five have been retained and they are; Kampala Capital City Authority, Uganda Communication Commission, Uganda National Bureau of Standards, Uganda Bureau of Statistics and National Medical Stores.
- Uganda National Roads Authority
- Uganda Road Fund
- Uganda Railways Corporation
- Transport Licensing Board
- Uganda Registration Services Bureau
- Uganda Electricity Generation Co Limited
- Uganda Electricity Transmission Co Limited
- Uganda Electricity Distribution Co Limited
- Rural Electrification Agency
- Lotteries and Gaming Regulatory Board
- Departed Asians Properties Custodian Board
- National Agricultural Advisory Services Org
- Uganda Trypanosomiasis Control Council
- Dairy Development Authority
- Uganda Coffee Development Authority
- Cotton Development Organisation
- National Identification & Reg Authority NGO Bureau
- National Information Technology Authority
- Uganda Aids Commission
- National Drug Authority
- Uganda Blood Transfusion Services
- Uganda Industrial Research Institute
- Uganda National Council for Scie & Tech
- Uganda Land Commission
- Kampala Capital City Authority
- Uganda Communication Commission
- Uganda National Bureau of Standards
- Uganda Bureau of Statistics
- National Medical Stores