President Museveni has directed the Ministry of Finance to give the Bamugemereire-led Land probe commission more Shs7.8 billion despite accountability queries still hanging on the team
Over two weeks ago, Finance ministry Permanent Secretary Keith Muhakanizi refused to release the money until the probe team accounts for the Shs13 billion they have so far spent.
However, sources told this website that on Tuesday, the President met the commission head on Tuesday and directed that the money be released to them.
Sources close to State House told this website that the commission chairperson, Justice Catherine Bamugemereire told the President of how they have had to endure months without pay and demanded for their arrears.
The President is also said to have assured them of his support as well as extending their tenure by more six months to enable them complete their work.
The commission was appointed by the president in 2016 but effectively started work in May 2017. It has so far received over 5000 cases after visiting different parts of the country but most of the cases are yet to be investigated.
However, the commission has been accused of wasting state funds, with each commissioner earning Shs720,000 per sitting daily and Shs2.5m per day for foreign travels. The team has already been to UK, Ghana and South Africa.
But Justice Bamugemereire has defended their expenditure, saying the inquiries are expensive and blamed the blackmail on some implicated land grabbers.