NEWS

Besigye, 3 senior FDC officials hide in Rukungiri court fearing re-arrest

Police personnel camp outside Rukungiri court. Photo by Raymond Mayanja.



Few hours after the Rukungiri Court released Dr. Kizza Besigye, the former FDC Presidential candidate, together with other three senior party leaders, they are still taking refuge at court premises, fearing to be re-arrested.

Dr. Besigye, Mr Patrick Amuriat Oboi, who is vying for the party’s leadership, Ms Ingrid Turinawe, party mobiliser and Innocent Mr Innocent Tashobya the Rukungiri municipality council speaker, have been charged for disobedience and causing violence.

They were released on bail after granting them a Shs 5m cash bail each, this morning. They will report back on November 16.

According to their lawyer, Erias Lukwago, immediately the court released Besigye and his group, the Police sealed off the court premises.

“Dr. Besigye and other colleagues are struck in the court. They cannot move out because the security agents are preparing to re-arrest them. We want to go Besigye’s residential home, few meters away from the court,” Lukwago said.

But the Police said they want to escort Besigye up to his home, blocking him from causing chaos in Rukungiri town.
The Police also accused Besigye’s supporters of vandalizing property last week, vowing that this time, they will not allow it to happen.

Betty Muzanira, Fred Tumuheirwe Turyamuhweza and Gadson Mutabazi stand sureties to Besigye, Amuriat and Turinawe.

Besigye and his co accused were given a none cash bail of shs 5m each while all the seven sureties were also given a condition of none cash of shs 50m each.

The accused will come back in court on 16th November for mention of their case again.
Besigye after getting bail was joined by, opposition MPs Allan Sewanyama (Makindye West) and Mubarak Munyagwa (Kawempe) South.

Dr Kizza Besigye addresses journalists at Rukungiri court. Photo by Raymond Mayanja.

Repeat of 2000
Besigye told the press after his release that what is happening in Rukungiri is similar to what he has passed on since 2000 when he declared his intentions to stand against dictatorial regime.

“This is what I have been passing through, they don’t have any credible charge to put against me but I know that’s how dictators use his masonries to oppress those opposing them,” he said.

The court verdict lasted for only one hour from 9:08am to 10:08am but since then police has sealed off the court entrance which most of the opposition members say was a plan to re arrest Besigye.

Why Police presence at court?
However, the Kigezi Regional Police Commander, Denis Namuwoza said Besigye and his co accused have liberty to go where ever they want since they were bailed out but they have to agree on the rout to take.

“We don’t have any intention of re arresting any one here but we want to agree with Kiiza Besigye on the rout to take while getting out from here,” he said.

He added that if he is going to his home in Rwakabengo he has to tell us and we agree where to pass and if it is Kampala still we need to know and see a rout to take without disturbing the peace of other people in town.
All business in Rukungiri town is at stand still as people gather along the road from social centre to the centre of the town.

Comments

local

All rights reserved. The information contained in this website may not be published, broadcast, re-written or re- distributed without the prior written authority of the publishers

Copyright © 2017. PML Daily

To Top